The popularity and demand for dental implants are continually growing that around 500,000 people are availing the said dental restoration every year. Well, who wouldn’t consider a teeth replacement that seems to be the closest there is to real teeth? Despite this advantage, there are still some people who are hesitant to opt for implants due to costs, fear, and uncertainties. And that is why we want our patients at Creating Smiles to be informed with as much information as possible about dental implants.
Dental Implant Preparation
The placement of dental implants require a surgical procedure; that is why it is essential for dentists to perform a thorough evaluation before everything else. During this stage, the things to expect are:
- Taking of dental x-rays, as well as images of the teeth and jaw.
- A review of the patient’s medical history and medications (either taken regularly or occasionally). It is essential to disclose anything about general health so that the dentist can take precautions of what to avoid.
- Formulation of a treatment plan that is specific to the patient’s situation. The treatment plan considers the number of teeth to be replaced, the state of the jawbone and the remaining teeth.
It is also necessary for patients to let the dentist know about the use of anesthesia or sedation options to control pain during the procedure. Our dentist will then discuss the best sedation options suited to the patient.
Dental Implant Surgery
The whole process requires several visits and takes many months to finish since there is usually a recovery period in between procedures. The methods to expect are:
Step 1: Removal of damaged teeth
Step 2: Bone grafting for patients who do not have enough jawbone density for a dental implant
Step 3: Surgical placement of dental implants
Step 4: Osseointegration (fusion between the implant post and jawbone) and healing
Step 5: Placement of the abutment (a component that would hold the prosthesis in place)
Step 6: Taking of impressions for the customization of a prosthesis (crowns, bridges, or dentures)
Aftercare & Recovery
It is the patient’s job to the right practices to secure a successful recovery. It is recommended for the patient to practice or observe the following:
- Follow the medications prescribed by the dentist
- Getting enough rest is vital
- Prodding the treatment site is not advised
- Observance of proper oral hygiene habits
- Use ice packs in controlling swelling and improving functions
- Consume nourishing foods that require less effort to consume
- If bleeding occurs, using gauze to control bleeding is best
- Follow all the other instructions provided by the dentist
If there are more questions or concerns about dental restoration, our team are always ready to assist in any way we can.
Are you aiming to restore your teeth as natural as it was before? Dental Implants in Lutz, FL may be the best option for you! Call or visit us to schedule your appointment with Creating Smiles.