Sleep apnea is a disorder that is characterized by pauses in breathing that can occur multiple times an hour. Either of the two factors can cause the condition: blockage of the airway or brain’s failure in sending a signal. The former cause is referred to as Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) which is due to the collapse of the soft tissues at the back of the throat. While the latter, Central Sleep Apnea (CSA), is more of a problem in the respiratory control center.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea is the one most people experience and is usually associated with loud snoring. However, it is best to remember that not all snorers have sleep apnea and not everyone who has the condition snores as well. It is highly advised for people who experience sleep apnea to seek professional assistance promptly to avoid the dangers it brings. Unfortunately, a person who suffers from this sleep disorder can remain unaware that they have it unless someone points out their breathing cessations or loud snoring.
We at Creating Smiles encourage our patients to seek immediate professional assistance if they notice any symptoms that are listed below:
- Insomnia or hypersomnia
- Morning headaches
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Having trouble concentrating
- Memory loss
- Decrease in libido
- Gasping, snorting, or choking sounds when asleep
- Memory loss
The dentist will first help the patient determine if they have the disorder so that appropriate treatments will be provided. Our practice offers certain oral appliances that will help people who suffer from sleep apnea manage their condition. These devices can be comfortably worn during sleep to help them breathe. It can also assist in preventing breathing pauses by repositioning the jaw during sleep.
Tips for the Natural Treatment of Sleep Apnea
Anyone at any age can suffer from the dangers of sleep apnea that can put one’s overall health at risk. It is best to take preventive measure for its occurrence or worsening. Here are simple tips to follow.
- Stop smoking, avoid excessive alcohol abuse and the overuse of sleep aids or sedatives.
- Sleeping position plays a role in preventing sleep apnea episodes. Patients are advised to sleep on their side with their head slightly elevated.
- Consider the treatment of medical problems that can affect the breathing ability of a person like congestion, cough, and acid reflux.
- Invest in a humidifier to encourage the drain of sinuses that can help a person breathe better.
- It is best to maintain or reach a healthy weight since it is a major contributor to sleep apnea, specifically OSA due to additional tissues in the neck area.
If you’re suffering from a sleep disorder that causes breathing pauses, then it may be Sleep Apnea! Book your appointment immediately at Creating Smiles for Sleep Apnea Treatment in Lutz, FL. You can visit us at 17553 N. Dale Mabry Hwy, Lutz, FL 33548.